Thursday, April 5, 2012

Blog #7

Facebook. To have or not to have? I switch back and forth between the two decisions all the time. There are some great things about it as well as some not so great things about it. I think that social networking sites can be a wonderful tool. It has given us a remarkable ability to stay in touch with people who live far away from us, which is the case for me. While living in Canada I made a lot of great and lasting friendships. If it weren't for Facebook, I would have no, cheap way to keep in touch with them. But honestly, other than that, I think Facebook is a waste of time. It has become more of a popularity contest. You get people adding you that you don't even know. In that case you soon see on your wall, not people you would like to know what is going on in their lives, but random people whom you never really knew. I think that as a society we are losing all communication skills due to things like Facebook and texting. But I think that whether or not it becomes a good or bad tool is the way you use it.

1 comment:

  1. Yup. You hit nails on the head quite often, Melissa. Texting, Facebook, business, competition, so on and so on, no?
    I only have an account because back in '06, I worked at a girl's home where the staff was clueless to the student's Facebook and, to a lesser extent, MySpace use.
    Before I knew it, a grundle of my old high school friends had found and friended me. Soooooo... I kept it.
    Bleah. But like you said, it can be fair nice to keep in contact with people afar off.

    ReplyDelete